What went well
- I successfully completed editing the the opening scene to my documentary in detail. This was an achievement due to the speed of which is was completely, especially considering that I only started sometime this week. Of course, if I think of any further ideas, I will proceed in editing it to ensure its of the highest quality. This stage of editing included fading in and out a brief aston describing where, when and what the footage was to help the audience understand exactly where they are. I have done this due to the fact that is very uncommon to throw the audience straight into the documentary the I have done, therefore including a brief description will help the audience comprehend what exactly is going on as well as int to cray on watching.
- My skills in terms of using Final Cut Express are improving rapidly. I now understand the basic features in more detail and now that this is apparent, I am able to start experimenting more with the features in order to manipulate the images. For example, in one of the scenes that follow the opening scenes, the footage appears too dark to be able to see the subject. After searching and tampering with a few buttons, I manage to navigate a tool that allowed me to adjust the gradient of light so that the subjects face was easier to see. This came to my advantage as it helps the overall quality of my documentary to improve further.
- I was successfully able to upload the music onto the software. As it was still early in the editing process, I did not attempt to editing any more the music and decided to focus solely on the footage. This is good because it now saves me the difficulty of trying to find the sound with the same difficult iI had finding the videos. Furthermore, it saves a bit of time for the future as the music will already be there, hence allowing me to just focus on the editing of the sound.
Problems I encountered:
- Although the fading in and out feature was conducted int he first day of editing, I had only noticed now that the fade isn't present when the caption/aston disappears. It simply just cut out of the footage, meaning that it looks unnaturally and out of place, which the audience would definitely notice. Especially due to the fact that I had faded the aston in, it was imperative I fade it out too so that the overall calm flow of my documentary as maintained. Eventually I figured that I had to use the cross dissolve in-and-out instead of just cross dissolve in order for the aston to fade in and out smoothly.
Overall, I'd consider the 2nd day of editing less productive than the first. Generally I believe this is because there were much more technical processes being demonstrated, therefore it took more time and commitment, resulting in less scenes being editing. Furthermore, because of the fact that I am now collecting footage together and curating them to develop a narrative, the combination of footage is becoming longer, causing the rendering to take long. As mentioned before, rendering is very time consuming, not allowing me to proceed with anything else. Despite this, I am pleased with how everything is coming together and I believe the potential for my documentary to be a good one is increasing.
No comments:
Post a Comment