Thursday, 6 October 2016

1st Day Filming Evaluation

What went Well

  • The overall feel of the filming was spontaneous and carefree. Although all participants in the filming process today knew that they were being filmed for purposed of documenting, it did not cause the footage to be force/fake. They all continued with their business as if i was not even present, which contributed to the accuracy of the film. It was exactly how I wanted them to be because i was afraid they'd not act the way they normally did without being filmed 
  • All the types of footage I was wanted was filmed. I managed to film close up footage to use as transition scene, as well as personally interviewed the the band members and aimed personal access to the processes. For those who enjoy the feeling of gaining exclusive access, they will enjoy these scenes very much as it had a very intimate atmosphere. 
  • I managed to gain access to the rooftop of one of the building in the area. This was perfect for my documentary as it helped me shoot a landscape shot of the city that we were located in. Furthermore, the footage was filmed in the nighttime, therefore it acts as a good scene to end on for that particular day. This scene of a panoramic sweeping shot has given me inspiration to end the scene there and use an editing tool to fade it out to lead into day two out of 7 with the band. 

  • The interviews came out a lot better than i thought they would. I intended on getting a black background and sitting the members in front of it to interview them. However, there was a corner inside the studio that had a nice blue lighting that hit them in a creative way. The overall message of documentary is to promote creativity, hence why I place them in the light so that it was more engaging and interesting. Additionally, the interviews were very helpful and helped inform the audience exactly who they are, which consequently helped them follow the narrative much easier.
  •  









Challenges that I faced
  • Although it wasn't a major issue, the continuity of the footage is isn't 100% clear. At first, I wasn't sure whether to film all of it as one continuous film or whether to keep stopping and started. I ended up filming separate clips, however later I realised that it would probably be hard to follow a narrative that is guys full of different clips put together. I probably should have filmed it all together and eventually edit it so that they transition into each other smoothly. This is certain once thing that I will consider on my next filming day to avoid the storyline being jumbled up. 
  • During the process of filming the personal interviews, the band members wasted a small amount of time. There was period of time that proved to be ineffective as the band members were joking around with each other and interrupting each others interviews, causing the flow to be interrupted. All though it was all light hearted and that it didn't cause major problems, it caused the process to be very time consuming and tedious. The only positive out of this is that it provides good footage for bloopers. 
  • Due to lack of necessary equipment, the sound quality of the footage is a little distorted. I  am aware that there a specific piece of equipment that tallows the quality of sound to be improved drastically, however I was unable to gain access to that, causing the sound to sound little less than top quality. I hope to edit the quality of sound later int he editing process to improve the quality and allow the dialogue to be clearer.
Overall
Overall the first day of filming was much more successful than I ever expected. Generally, the band members were all on board with idea of being documented, as they all provided a good quantity of footage that will provide entertainment for the audience, as well as it all being natural. The footage gained from today's experience has set the next day of filming at relentless studios nicely and has set the scene well for the rest of the documentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment