Friday, 30 December 2016

Voiceover Problems

The voiceover to my documentary was the last thing I did in terms of production. I wanted to gain a clear narrative before I recorded the voiceover so that the voiceovers matched the footage. Everything went well when it came to recording the voiceover, and helped the documentary look 10 times more professional. However here were a few minor issues with some of the recording. For example, the very first piece of voiceover, the recording system lagged, meaning that the phrase "Denmark Street" was cut off. Another issue was the grammar/ use of words int he voiceover, as some of it didn't make sense e.g, using the word corporation rather than industry or saying seeked instead of sought/searched. Due to these minor issues, I decided to rerecord it.

Rerecording it was all fine and it edited conveniently into the documentary and made it sound more professional. During editing everything was working well, therefore I decided to export into order to post it on Youtube to gain feedback. However , once exported, I noticed that the the newly recorded voiceovers fall silent once exported and they seem to be missing. Due the voiceovers being editing in on the last day of term, I did not have enough time to checked this problem and fix it, meaning that no editing equipment would be available if I were to rerecord it.

I am not 100% sure why the voiceovers have disappeared, but I think that it is something to do with the equipment used. The first time round, I used a professional microphone used for radio recording , therefore when I saved and exported these recording, they automatically exported to the right format. This differs to the second time round, as I didn't have my recording equipment, so I used my phone to record them. The sound quality isn't any less however because it is just a phone, the export setting don't match up with Final Cut Express, which Im guessing is why they go silent.

This is very inconvenient as it now means I ahem to wait until we get back to school to completely finish the post production. Hopefully when I get back, I will be able to gain help and understand why the sound has gone and perhaps find a different way of exporting it in order for the sound to remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment